Monday, October 20, 2014

12 More Inches

On Friday, I thought my weekend was going to be like any other weekend. I'd relax, run errands, get some stuff done around the house etc. Well that idea went to hell in a hand basket real quick. Now before I jump right in and let you know the crazy, catastrophic events that occurred. I want you all to know that I'm fine. Beezy is fine and Tesco is still begging for treats. Friday night started out completely normal. I came home from work and Beezy and I decided to run a few errands. We desperately needed printer ink because we were completely out and needed to print something for his work that was due the next morning. We left the house and hit up Target and grabbed some Chipotle for dinner.

Saturday is when it went crazy.

Saturday, I sat around in my pajamas for hours catching up on Watch What Happens Live and all my other Bravo guilty pleasure shows. I played with Tesco and read these beauties...
It immediately sparked a frenzy. To answer the question. No I am not engaged. I love wedding and bridal magazines. Yes, we have been talking about it. 

Later in the day, Beezy's mom stopped by. She's in the process of selling her house and she's going to become our newest roommate for awhile. She came over and dropped off a lot of her plants. When Beezy got home we left for a little while to run an errand. When we came home that's when it all went into the hand basket. We get out of the car and my neighbor who has never spoken to me in the two years I've lived here starts running across the road, barefoot screaming that my house was on fire.

WHAT?

She then tells me that there was an explosion and the fire department banged on the door and no one was there to answer. At that point I felt like I was in one of those moments caught on candid camera. We had ordered a pizza in the car ride home so we've got the pizza kid at our door step now, the neighbor yelling there was an explosion at my house while standing in the middle of the road barefoot and Beezy in the house seeing what the heck she's talking about. I didn't know what to do. I told her thank you and started making my way to the house. I told the pizza kid to hold on and as I walk through the door, I've got Beezy telling me not to look in the backyard.

What do I do? Immediately walk to the backyard. Tesco in the meantime was meowing his little head off because as much he doesn't want you to know it... he's a scaredy cat. And Oh...my...God.
This photo was actually taken the next morning and the night cool air helped dissipate the black ground. Here's is some photos that were actually taken right when we saw it...
 Literally 12 inches from the house!


The fire came so close to the house. I mean literally it was 12 inches from catching the house on fire. All I can say is, Thank God the house didn't catch on fire. It would have only taken another 12 inches for it to have set it ablaze. I definitely think my grandpa was watching out for me. When I bought this house two years ago, there was hummingbirds everywhere. We see them frequently around the house and Beezy saw one the other day. We always said with my grandpa anytime we see one it's him watching out for us. Well he definitely was on Saturday.

Here's the best part. The fire department and SMUD didn't even have the courtesy to leave us a note on the door. We had to make about 15 calls before finally being able to find out what caused it. The non emergency line told us that an explosion happened at the electric pole and caused a down live wire. The down wire then caused the ground fire. Called SMUD and haven't heard a thing yet. Their next call will be from my insurance. So far their customer service at SMUD is a negative two right now. Since their wire could have burned my house down, I feel like they better get on it. Thank goodness the house is ok and we are ok.

We spent Sunday resting from the stress. Beezy even sold his Raiders tickets. Let's hope we don't repeat this weekend ever again.

7 comments:

SWMNBN said...

Holy heck lady!!!!!! This is INSANE! I am so glad everyone is ok!

And I saw the bridal magazine post on Insta... I knew if you had gotten engaged you would've told us all ;)

Lucky Lady said...

That is definitely what I call Lucky!
I am so happy you, Beezy, Tesco and the house are fine. You definitely have a guardian Angel watching out for you. Love you!

Bri said...

HOOOLLLLEEE CRAP
Thank God you are ok, but my God! Scary!

Krysten Quiles said...

I just can't. Oh my gosh you are so lucky nothing happened to your house and that no one was hurt!

LaNeshe M.W. said...

Wow! Thank God for 12 inches!

Lady Jewels Diva® said...

Wow, that would have freaked the shit out of me.

Had a similar experience though, xmas eve 2004 someone set my neighbours tree on fire. They lived behind us and it burnt our connecting fence. Another neighbour banged on our door and said "your backyards on fire", so we rushed out. Not our yard but close enough to get the hose onto it. The little bastards set other trees in the neighbourhood on fire as well and repeated it all seven days later on NYE.

lil desiqua said...

What the heck! Thank goodness the fire didn't touch your house, and good thing your neighbor was around to tell you what happened! Glad everyone is ok!